Our History

A brief history

The Congregations of Gorgie Dalry Parish Church and of Stenhouse St.Aiden’s Parish Church were officially unified on the 1st of January 2016. Though unified, the two congregations continue, at present, to worship in their respective church buildings.

The Congregation of Gorgie Dalry Parish Church was formed on 6th March 2011 with the union of Gorgie Parish Church and St Colm’s Parish Church.

The congregation of Gorgie Parish Church was formed on 5th August 1979 with the union of Tynecastle Parish Church and Cairn’s Memorial Parish Church.

Tynecastle was a congregation of the Church of Scotland which had been disjoined from the congregation of St Michael’s in 1885 when the Rev. George Wilson started mission work in the area.  The church started in a small room off Gorgie Road and Tynecastle Church was opened in May 1891. In time, the congregation doubled its size and a new church was built at a site in Gorgie Road. The official opening of this building was in November 1901.  The building was on the site now occupied by the Scotmid Co-op store at 236 Gorgie Road, the church building having been demolished in 1982.

Cairn’s was originally a congregation of the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland, which then became a congregation of the United Free Church of Scotland in 1902, and then a congregation of the Church of Scotland in 1929.  The church at its present location opened in 1902 and was called Cairns Memorial after the Very Rev. Prof. John Cairns, D.D., former principal of the United Presbyterian Theological College from 1879, and moderator of the United Presbyterian Synod in 1872.

The congregation of St Colm’s Parish Church was formed in 7th June 1973 with the union of St Bride’s Parish Church and Dalry Haymarket Parish Church.

St Bride’s was a congregation of the Church of Scotland.  The congregation worshiped in the building in Orwell Terrace which is now called the St Bride’s Centre.

Dalry Haymarket was formed on the union of Dalry and Haymarket congregations on 7th February 1960.

Dalry was originally a congregation of the Free Church of Scotland, which then became a congregation of the United Free Church of Scotland in 1902, and then a congregation of the Church of Scotland in 1929.  The church, comprising of church and halls, was on the site now occupied by the St Colm’s building at 158 Dalry Road and the adjoining properties owned by Dunedin Canmore.

Haymarket was originally a congregation of the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland, which then became a congregation of the United Free Church of Scotland in 1902, and then a congregation of the Church of Scotland in 1929.  Their building was in Dalry Road opposite Richmond Terrace.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *