At GDS Church we are very aware of the fact that we are responsible for an extremely large, populous and diverse parish - one of if not the largest in Edinburgh by area. We are the decedents of no less than 7 original worshiping congregations in this area and we carry on their service to this community into the 21st Century.
Our services blend contemporary and traditional worship in an informal but respectful atmosphere that prioritises church as family - in so doing, we seek to make a space in which anyone in our parish can feel comfortable and able to meet with God and worship freely, regardless of their background.
As a member of the Church of Scotland, we are part of the largest Christian denomination in Scotland and offer marriage, baptism and funeral services to anyone residing within our parish, whether they are members or not.
As Christians, we believe that God:
- Created us, the universe, all that is seen and unseen - Everyone and everything. In Him we 'live and move and have our being'.
- Knows us, warts and all, inside and out, our hopes, our dreams, our fears, our failures - and desires that we know Him in return.
- Greives for us, His children gone astray, who have chosen to live without him, to live with a hole in our souls - ever seeking, never finding.
- Loves us, in spite of our faults and failings, enough to give up eternity for us, to endure torture and death for us, even death on a cross.
- Is mighty, enough to save us, even from ourselves - enough to heal our hearts - enough to bring us home - enough to conquer death.
- Achieved all this through Jesus Christ, his life, ministry, death, resurrection and ascension - A Salvation Plan, older than time.
- Remains with us, even today, as comfort, guide and power through his Holy Spirit - working still through those who welcome Him.
- Did all this to restore our broken relationship with Him, so that we might be reunited with him in eternity, in a world made new.
- Is relentless in love, endless in patience and boundless in mercy.
As Christians, we believe in Hope. Hope for you, your family, your neighbours, your friends, your enemies - Everyone. This is Good News.
Want to know more? - TRY ALPHA
OUR STAFF TEAM
Rev Dean Batchelor
"I was born in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa. I was ordained on the 3 June 2004. I ministered at The Hill Presbyterian, one of the oldest Presbyterian Churches in South Africa, established in 1861 before moving to Scotland and joining the Church of Scotland. Thank you for everyone who has welcomed Carol, Daniel, Matthew and myself so graciously at GDS church. I look forward to ministering with you during 2023. Please know I am always available to come and visit. It is a blessing to be able to share this part of my journey with you."
Children and Families Ministerial Assistant.
We're happy to welcome Jessica Linde to GDS Church team
Tricia has served as our Session Clerk for many years, just like her father before her. What Tricia doesn't know about GDS Church isn't worth knowing. Among office-bearers in the Church of Scotland, the Session Clerk has long been seen to occupy a position of special significance. To the minister the Session Clerk is his or her "right hand person". To the congregation the Session Clerk is the person who, more than any other, embodies the congregation, and is the link between it and the minister.